Election Day is November 5
- October 15 Deadline for voter registration
- October 26 First day of early voting
- October 29 Deadline to apply by mail for a mail-in ballot
- November 3 Last day of early voting
- November 4 Deadline to apply in person for a mail-in ballot from your county clerk (3:00pm)
- November 5 Deadline for postmark of mail-in ballots (if received by November 11)
- November 5 Deadline for in person submission of mail-in ballot
- November 5 Election Day
To register to vote in New Jersey, you must be:
- A United States citizen
- At least 17 years old, though you may not vote until you have reached the age of 18
- A resident of the county for 30 days before the election
- A person not serving a sentence of incarceration as the result of a conviction of any indictable offense under the laws of this or another state or of the United States. Voter Restoration Handbook – Restore Your Right to Vote in New Jersey
How to register to vote:
To register online, you will need your date of birth and one of the following forms of identification:
- A current and valid Driver’s License or a non-driver Identification Card (ID card) issued by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC), or
- A Social Security number: To use your social security number, you must have the ability to sign on-screen or upload your signature to complete the registration process. If you are unable to provide a digital signature, you cannot register online.
To register using a paper form, download the form, fill it out, print it out and send it into your County Commissioner of Registration or Superintendent of Elections for your county.
Voter ID Requirements
You do not need to show ID when you vote in person.
If a first-time voter does not provide valid identification at the time of registration, he or she must show identification at the polling place
Visit VoteRiders for more information on voter ID requirements in New Jersey.
Vote-by-Mail (absentee voting)
After you complete your Vote-By-Mail Ballot, return your ballot by one of three ways, mail it back, place it in one of your county’s Secure Ballot Drop Box Locations or return it to your County Board of Elections Office. Your Vote-By-Mail ballot CANNOT be returned to your In-Person Early Voting Poll Location or your Election Day Poll Location.
Vote-by-mail ballots do not require a witness or notary. They do require the voter’s signature.
Early In-Person Voting
Each NJ county will hold in-person machine voting. Each county, depending on its size will designate a minimum of 3 to 10 voting locations for early in-person voting purposes. Early voting polling locations will be open from at least 10 am to 8 pm on Mondays through Saturdays, and from at least 10 am to 6 pm on Sundays.
- Guide for Voter Registration Drives in New Jersey
- Become a New Jersey Poll Worker!
- Native American Voting Rights (NAVRA)
- A Tribal Leaders Guide to Prepare for the Next Election
- Addressing: A Guide for Tribes
- Native Language Speakers Have Voting Rights!
- Examples of Voter Discrimination and Suppression in Indian Country
- Native Americans Depend on Ballot Collection
Tribes in New Jersey
Federally recognized tribes
State recognized tribes
- Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Tribal Nation
- Ramapough Lenape Nation
- The Powhatan Renape Nation
Native Vote Coordinators
Sign up to be a local Native Vote coordinator, today!
Major Party Contact Information
Chair, LeRoy J. Jones Jr.
Chair, Mr. Bob Hugin